Challenge Seven: The Sciences

Miss.Wyatt: Student Challenge
I am going to do an endangered animal, the Macaroni Penguin.

here is a link to the website where I found everything about Macaroni Penguins:

Latin Name; Eudyptes Chrysolophus

Conservation Status; Vulnerable

Location; S Chili, S Atlantic & S Indian Ocean

Colour; Black and White

Height; Up to 71 cm (28 inches)

Weight; 3.5 – 6.5 Kgs (7.75 – 14 lbs)

Life Expectancy; –

MAIN CHARACTERISTICS
Macaroni Penguins are the most numerous species of penguin. They are very similar to royal penguins and the two are often confused. They reach heights up to 71 cms (28 inches) and they weigh between 3.5 and 6.5 kgs (7.75 – 14 lbs). They have a black face, chin and back and they are coloured white on their front. Their beak is red/brown in colour and they have a yellow, orange and black crest on their head. Macaroni Penguins are noisy, aggressive birds and they emit raucous braying sounds when on land and short barks at sea.

HABITAT
Macaroni Penguins are found in the Antarctic region and they breed on many islands including South Georgia, Crozet, Macdonald, Keuguelen and Heard.
Here is a picture of the location:

Diet
Macaroni Penguins feed on krill, fish and squid. They capture their
prey on pursuit dives at depths of 15 – 60 m (50 – 200 ft) although they can dive to 90 m (300 ft) if required. These dives rarely last longer than 2 minutes and mainly occur during the day. They sometimes feed during the night but they only dive up to 6 m (20 ft) in depth during night time forages.

Breeding
During the summer months Macaroni Penguins breed in huge, tightly packed colonies. Females lay 2 eggs in a shallow scrape in the ground but usually only the second, larger egg is
incubated. The egg is incubated by both parents and after approximately 34 days it hatches. The chick is looked after by the male for the first 3 – 4 weeks while the female brings food for them both. When the chicks are large enough they join a nursery group with other chicks, which is known as a creche. This enables both parents to hunt for food to satisfy the chick’s growing appetite. When the chick reaches 10 weeks old it will have gained its full adult plumage and is ready to go to sea.

Predators
Predators of Macaroni Penguins include leopard seals, sea lions and killer whales. Eggs and chicks are preyed upon by skuas, gulls, petrels and other shore birds.

Interesting Facts

Macaroni Penguins are members of the crested penguin group which also includes the:
Royal Penguin
Erect-Crested Penguin
Snares Penguin

Fiordland Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin
The current population of Macaroni Penguins is approximately 12 million pairs. Macaroni Penguins are the largest of the 6 species of crested penguins. The character named Lovelace in the film Happy Feet is a Macaroni Penguin. Macaroni Penguins were named by early English explorers due to the yellow crest of feathers on their head which resembled the feathers worn in the hats of young 18th century men called “macaronis”.

QUESTION:
Have you ever seen a Macaroni Penguin? What is your favourite type of Penguin?
*Answer in comments!*

Image 1 Source:
Image 2 Source:
Image 3 Source:
Image 4 Source:
Information Source:

4 thoughts on “Challenge Seven: The Sciences

1. G’day Morgan,

It is very easy to copy and paste from a website, but everything on your blog should be in your own words. If you have copied and pasted then you have plagiarised.

Maybe just write about the things you found interesting about this penguin. Why did you choose this particular bird to research?

Also I notice you haven’t included the sources for your images and information.

• I chose this bird because I like macaroni and cheese… I know it sounds primary but it’s the truth and I thought I was putting my image sources. I put one for every single picture and all the imformation. I make sure I do every single challenge post correctly. I am sorry then, I will remember next time. But how could I get a link to the exact picture because from where I got the second picture, there was no hyperlink?